Skip to main content

The Journey Home

In continuation of:
Part 1: Nomadic Hymnal: Ladhhak: A Godless Pilgrimage
Part 2: Nomadic Hymnal: Leh: Realm of the Indus

An hour from Leh, the Magnetic hill stood establishing literally, what in  metaphoric sense Leh has always been—magnetic. With engines off, our motorcycles moved uphill at 45 kmph, defying gravity, surrendering to the rebellious hill in its silent mutiny against the earth's force. Once released from the magnetic field, switching loyalities again, the bikes ran on horse power, occasionally speeding on the surprisingly well-maintained NH1.
Simply Magnetic
 The Indus, by now huge enough to command the reverence reserved for a goddess, moved parallel to the road, occasionally crossing it beneath feeble bridges in its haste to reach the Arabian Sea. At one such crossing, I collected a handful of silt and a bottle of water from the river as a memento of the journey.
Indus: The Farewell
Apart from a few rough patches, the road to Kargil, was "easy." The word easy, however, in this part of the world never comes without inverted commas; and in present context it only means, not as hard as the Manali-Leh highway. The mountain passes on the road, with the highest one being 'just' 13500 feet above sea level, appeared like routine tourist spots in the hills, again, only in comparison. However, one phenomena exclusive to this road were the local kids, who in amusement or naive anticipation high-fived us every time we went past.  Perhaps, they considered the arrival of bikes as good omen, for it coincided with the beginning of the pleasant summer season. Reminding me of my naivety as a child, they appeared like projections of my own conscience, framed eternally in time, living a life I once wanted to. They still haunt me when I feel the need of a vacation just to stop being an impostor for a while.

                 Tender, jittery hands, under my benign childhood sky
                 wave in solitude from where a tight-rope walk began
                 over abyss, on the rope of aspirations, and helmed by the same jittery hands
                 I wave back and keep walking towards the end unexplored.

Changing Vistas: Kargil

Vistas changed, as we entered Kargil, from a hostile desert to a lush green valley, inundated by the river Suru. After a brief stop in front of a medieval Maitreya Budhha  statue, we headed straight to Kargil town, and checked-in in a hotel near Ayatollah Khomeini chowk at around 6:00 pm. Violating Khomeini's fatwa against Salman Rushdie, I read 'Satanic Verses' until I slept that night. Khomeini, turning in his grave, cursed me to fall off my bike in Jawahar tunnel, which I later did.
To Srinagar: An early start at 7:00 AM made sure we didn't get stuck among army vehicles, and moving swiftly on broken roads, we came across a road-sign that said "You are under enemy's observation." The signboards that followed were all memorials built in honor of the soldiers killed in 1999, on the road by the 'observant' enemy. Replacing the deceased names, new nameless soldiers now stood guarding the road and bridges against the Pakistani army's shells. Their reward—if they fell, they would no longer be nameless, at least in the Indian Army's annals. Paying our homage to the martyrs, we went past Tiger hill, to have breakfast at Dras—the second coldest inhabited place in the world.

Kargil: In Sight of the Enemy

Moving quickly we went past shepherds and vagabonds, occasionally conversing and sharing greetings, on our way to Zoji La—the most scenic part of the Leh-Srinagar highway. The road, rough as the lunar surface, went through meadows, appeared to have materialized straight out of a Wordsworth classic, before giving way to a beautifully laid tarmac. A spectacular view of the Jhelum river greeted us on our arrival in the Kashmir valley, and we reached Srinagar by 3:00 pm. After finding a hotel, we spent the evening riding Shikara and sipping kehwa in the Dal lake. Watching the sun set over Dal, was an emotional moment since it marked the end of our last day in 'Paradise.'






Another Day in Paradise: Srinagar
The next day, back on the roads of the civilized world, riding through heavy traffic, we reached Jawahar tunnel. Riding pillion on my bike, Khomeini's curse made its presence felt right in the middle of the dark tunnel. To give way to eagerly honking cars behind me, my motorcycle skidded as I tried to steer left in invisible mire at 50 kmph. The motorcycle wasn't hurt, and after nursing my elbow wound, we rode through traffic all day before encountering the last adventure of our trip— being stuck in torrential rainfall and landslides at 11 in the night and, and having to take a longer alternate route, while risking running out of petrol. Eventually we made it to our destination for the day—Pathankot. The journey next day from Pathankot to Ambala was mostly spent in veneration of the journey that it had been thus far.
Forsaking sleep when mind incredulously rejected time-travel, we left restlessly stinging mosquitoes half fed, and checked out of our hotel in Ambala at 2:00 AM in the night. In what was our last chai stop of the journey, we congratulated each other before gradually transforming into impostors once again.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hindustan-Tibet road: Nowhere to nowhere

Okay,  It happened two years ago.  After quitting my job and before finding a new one, I headed towards Spiti . With only my backpack for company, what I sought, to be as cliched as possible,  was a life changing experience.  And the plan was to tread the trails which I earlier could not because of the other cliche, little time.  For four days, I cycled and trekked around Kalpa , who rising from her lazy stupor wooed me with all she hid in her bosom, and never revealed until I  decided to forego the insurance of the tarred road. It could as well have been me rising from my stupor, as the hermit in me took over, and decided to move on, beyond Kalpa , towards the fairy tale lands of Kaza , K omik , Kibber , and every place that I yearned to be in, every time I was in Ladhhak , and every time I was in Kalpa . Leaving the tar insurance: Kalpa What? Whistle as you walk: Kalpa Hobbiton? Cheeni Gaon Monastery Hermits don't write travelogues, or ma

Ladhhak: A Godless Pilgrimage

Walking on the air as I was while hurtling past Ambala on my way home, I was already feeling nostalgic about what I had left behind. The ethereal memories of Ladhhak kept me awake, where the not so ethereal skeeters failed during my attempt at a quick nap in Ambala. Before giving up on sleep, I traveled backwards at the speed of thought, trying to backtrack mentally and fool myself into believing that there was more to come.                                                     Leaving the Plains: Chandigarh Ten of us committed attendance, five planned, three prepared and took leave from work, and finally just two of us set out for the road trip I've always wanted to be on. Sourabh rode his Avenger 220, he bought 6 months ago for the sole purpose of accomplishing this wheeled pilgrimage to Leh, and I made my veteran Enfield Bullet 2005 as comfortable as possible with the idea of doing long distances at high altitudes. The hot and humid mid June weather, although sapping, inspired

Leh: Realm of the Indus

Continued from " Ladhhak: A Godless Pilgrimage " "First View of the Indus River," said a signboard as we entered Leh, and the river, which gave India its name, moved with skill and poise through an intricate arrangement of brown, green, and white. Meandering through the primordial mountains, the river had once nurtured the fields of the Harappans - the builders of the best planned cities on earth in their times. A witness to the rise and fall of those cities, the Indus glistened in the sun, as if smiling in condescension at the futility of the mankind's attempts to decipher cryptic ancient texts, for of them, she had always known but never revealed.                                            Nurturing Civilizations: The Mighty Indus My hymn to the mighty Indus:                                   Notional beliefs met reason in her course,                                   a reason vagarious as mankind, illusive as its faith,