Skip to main content

The Liberation

Streetlights appear unusually faint through my window; I really should have slept better last night. Wake up! shouts someone from a distance, but I am too exhausted to shout back. My eyes half shut, scattering all light that reaches my pupil, cant perceive which part of the town I am in, a vague sense of time tells me I should be home soon, since I have been traveling for a long time. The lights get dimmer, falling now on nothing else but the road divider, leaving everything else pitch dark. I am breathing too loud, disturbing the state of tranquility I have found, so I mellow down, getting slower, calmer, until I am perturbed no more by the sound.

There are too many in the car; they will drive me to school, so I can drowse off for a while. But,  I am getting really late, its already dark, and the seat next to Bela's would already be taken, the school perhaps might be over, why don't they just let me sleep instead? I hope the Maths teacher doesn't come today, else I will have another note in the remarks page of my diary, for I slept when I should have done my homework.
There it is, the school building looks so different, I remember it being brighter the day before, and the smell of sterilizer has never before been so strong. My white canvas shoes get soiled as I playfully climb over a crushed sandstone mound, still wet with yesterdays rain, on my way to the classroom. Rubbing my shoes, red as blood now, against an Ashoka tree, it occurs to me that its Thursday, and I should have worn black shoes and brown uniform today. Nevertheless, dragging my feet on the floor to clean the sole, I walk ahead, and notice kids running around in white shorts and canvas shoes in the basketball court. A fortunate change in code I did not know of, I think, while I cross the court to reach my class, and sneak in to the seat next to Bela's, but cant find her. I look around for her, when an extremely bright light blinds my dilated eyes, and she walks in through the door, straight towards the fire altar in the center of the room. She looks grown up, by around twenty years in a day, but I recognize her, almost with precognition. A man in saffron, perhaps a priest, waits for her near the altar, and as soon she reaches there, he animatedly starts talking to her, pointing towards me repeatedly as he speaks. The voice doesn't reach me, and I don't leave my seat to avoid being asked about homework by the Maths teacher.

I hear shouts of "V.P. Singh Hai Hai " as somehow back again in the car, I am being driven somewhere, probably because I slept again. A stone strikes the wind screen and shatters it, hitting the Maths teacher on his head, and there's blood all over.
Look at him, says someone in an unquiet voice, he has lost so much blood that he is completely pale; and his pulse has become so feeble. Will he live? another anxious voice inquires. Perhaps not, answers the first, not unless we get to the hospital in 10 minutes; if we do, he has a 10 percent chance. Did anyone answer the phone? Someone named Bela called on his phone, and I have asked her to tell his folks to reach the hospital. He is opening his eyes, do you hear me? You will be alright, just stay calm, try not to sleep, your family will be with you shortly.
Father arrives outside the operation theatre, soaked in rain, taking stairs all the way to the third floor in his overt excitement. How about Vrishti, if its a girl, he asks and lets a few rain drops fall out of his raincoat pocket. With moist eyes, Bela releases Vrishti from the comforts of her bosom and with slight apprehension hands her over to me. Trembling at first, my longing hands meet their destiny in her soothing touch, and as an abjurer of divinity, I struggle to make sense of what I feel. Then she smiles, and the spontaneity of it breaches the periphery of all emotional restraint I have ever used, my eyes well up.

Ah, the car door opens and they take me out, its dark, and it's raining, I yearn to smell wet mud, but the concrete jungle engulfs and destroys it, fails me. Vrishti's little footsteps on the sands of the beach fill up with rain water, as I juxtapose mine along to keep her from falling while coaxing her to walk. She falls nevertheless, I reach out for her, reach out of reach, until strangulated by the strong limb of time, I can reach no more.

His family is here, inform them and help them with formalities, says the man who accompanied me in the car, as he instructs his associate about the details required on the form:
Shishir Sharma, Male, 34 years, Brought Dead.
A few disturbed faces walk towards me, and the same faces smile serenely from an immeasurably long distance. Superimposing the serene faces over the disturbed ones, I set myself free. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hindustan-Tibet road: Nowhere to nowhere

Okay,  It happened two years ago.  After quitting my job and before finding a new one, I headed towards Spiti . With only my backpack for company, what I sought, to be as cliched as possible,  was a life changing experience.  And the plan was to tread the trails which I earlier could not because of the other cliche, little time.  For four days, I cycled and trekked around Kalpa , who rising from her lazy stupor wooed me with all she hid in her bosom, and never revealed until I  decided to forego the insurance of the tarred road. It could as well have been me rising from my stupor, as the hermit in me took over, and decided to move on, beyond Kalpa , towards the fairy tale lands of Kaza , K omik , Kibber , and every place that I yearned to be in, every time I was in Ladhhak , and every time I was in Kalpa . Leaving the tar insurance: Kalpa What? Whistle as you walk: Kalpa Hobbiton? Cheeni Gaon Monastery Hermits don't write travelogues, or ma

Ladhhak: A Godless Pilgrimage

Walking on the air as I was while hurtling past Ambala on my way home, I was already feeling nostalgic about what I had left behind. The ethereal memories of Ladhhak kept me awake, where the not so ethereal skeeters failed during my attempt at a quick nap in Ambala. Before giving up on sleep, I traveled backwards at the speed of thought, trying to backtrack mentally and fool myself into believing that there was more to come.                                                     Leaving the Plains: Chandigarh Ten of us committed attendance, five planned, three prepared and took leave from work, and finally just two of us set out for the road trip I've always wanted to be on. Sourabh rode his Avenger 220, he bought 6 months ago for the sole purpose of accomplishing this wheeled pilgrimage to Leh, and I made my veteran Enfield Bullet 2005 as comfortable as possible with the idea of doing long distances at high altitudes. The hot and humid mid June weather, although sapping, inspired

Leh: Realm of the Indus

Continued from " Ladhhak: A Godless Pilgrimage " "First View of the Indus River," said a signboard as we entered Leh, and the river, which gave India its name, moved with skill and poise through an intricate arrangement of brown, green, and white. Meandering through the primordial mountains, the river had once nurtured the fields of the Harappans - the builders of the best planned cities on earth in their times. A witness to the rise and fall of those cities, the Indus glistened in the sun, as if smiling in condescension at the futility of the mankind's attempts to decipher cryptic ancient texts, for of them, she had always known but never revealed.                                            Nurturing Civilizations: The Mighty Indus My hymn to the mighty Indus:                                   Notional beliefs met reason in her course,                                   a reason vagarious as mankind, illusive as its faith,